So, there's this organization in Boston that I've had the pleasure of working with several times called Teen Voices. They're amazing, and they do really powerful work. In their own words:
Because of a recent decrease in funding, we’re at a crisis. We must raise $300,000 by August 1. Yes, it’s that bad.
For nearly 25 years, girls and young women in Boston and beyond have counted on Teen Voices to provide a positive, girl-friendly space to grow as writers and leaders. We are not going down without a fight.
You know us, and you know our work—our girl-generated magazine is the only publication of its kind. Thousands of girls around the globe count on Teen Voices to publish their work and offer honest, positive stories that address real issues in their lives.
The good news is our magazine and our afterschool program are stronger than ever. We’ve produced two excellent issues in the past year and over 225 online articles—including interviews with inspiring girls in action and powerful leading ladies like Donna Brazile, Jennifer Buffett, and Maria Hinojosa. We consistently have a waiting list for our afterschool and summer journalism program, and our Boston-based teens consistently show growth in perseverance, social efficacy, and acceptance of others.
With a strong and dedicated staff and an army of passionate teens and volunteers, we are poised to take Teen Voices to the next level in 2013, reaching many more girls worldwide. We have a vision to increase our web traffic tenfold and become the go-to place for smart girl media. We have plans—and even a grant!—to make teenvoices.com an interactive, smartphone-friendly forum for girls to amplify their voices.
It’s all within reach.
But right now, we need funds to get around this challenging corner and move our organization to a stronger future. With your help, Teen Voices can partner and transform to amplify the voices of girls. Whether you can afford $5, $50 or $5,000, every donation brings us closer.
So I came up with an idea predicated on the following:
1. I went to BEA and got pretty loaded up--in fact, I got a little OVER loaded. I have lots of extra books.
2. I have yet to give away a copy of the UK version of SCARLET--and obviously that needs to happen
3. You can help me determine how much money to give to Teen Voices.
4. You can inspire others with your own inspiration
So here's the deal.
1. Take a picture showing SCARLET with a woman who inspires you. It can be a photo of the woman or the real deal.
2. Tweet it @acgaughen, and don't forget to tell me who she is.
3. Link to the tweet IN THE COMMENTS OF THIS POST to be counted toward both the ARC raffle and the tally.
4. For every person who does 1, 2, and 3, I'll donate $5 to Teen Voices. And you'll be entered into a raffle for ARCs and Scarlet(s).
You can win:
- SCARLET, in both UK paperback and US hardcover
- These books that I got from BEA (EVE AND ADAM, ORIGIN, BETA, BLESSED, THE INNOCENTS):
Please, please spread the word.
Teen Voices needs the help right now, and they need it THIS MONTH.
This contest will end and the donation will be made on August 1st.
Thank you so much in advance for entering and sharing this contest; let's help out a good organization!
***PLEASE NOTE*** The donation has already been made! However, there haven't been a TON of entries so I'm going to keep it open until Monday, August 6th! ******